Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Puyallup Police shoot at, arrest man in Fred Meyer parking lot

Post by Brian Everstine on Oct. 21, 2009 at 3:43 pm with 10 Comments »
October 21, 2009 3:43 pm

A Puyallup Police officer shot at a man in a store parking lot who tried to him them with his car, before crashing, fleeing into the woods and being caught by a police dog.

Two officers stopped a 42-year-old Tacoma man in the Fred Meyer parking lot, 1100 North Meridian, at about 12:15 p.m. for a warrant related to the car he was driving. When they approached the vehicle, the driver backed at them, forcing the officers to dive out of the way, Puyallup Police Lt. Dave McDonald said. The car spun around, and one officer opened fire.

The driver was not hit, and he drove through the parking lot at a high rate of speed, McDonald said. He lost control, crashed and fled into a wooded area.

A police dog searched the woods and found him. The man apparently fled for a separate warrant out of Pierce County for reckless driving, McDonald said.

He is being treated for dog bites and abrasions. Police are still at the scene.

1. good dog!

2. Palin2012yup says:

Yes indeed, I understand if they are actively threatening the officer’s lives, but in the case of fleeing its absurd they have a license to kill.

3. lizzifer says:

Palin that’s the point I made yesterday, so just get ready for your comment to be removed, cuz that’s what happened to mine!!! Questioning the police is very unpopular….

4. skeptic50 says:

My question here is the same as the one for the shooting in South Hill. If the officer who fired missed… where did the bullets go??? This is fairly crowded area so was the public and/or other officer in danger of being hit by a stray bullet?

5. Palin2012yup says:

RE: thelostwhitehope

Thank you, but you know what whitey, don’t need prayers from a racist. *wink

6. Palin2012yup says:

RE: lizzifer

Yes, its just how censorship goes, even when you abide by the terms and rules, sometimes the truth is too hard to swallow. Also even I do understand some people are just “sensitive” and we must respect that. But I would hope the TNT and other media would understand that there is a thing called freedom of speech. And I’m not talking like hate speech such as the Westboro Baptist Church. That’s insane…. there is a fine line between censorship or real speech and just madness.

7. lizzifer says:

Well, i’m seriously considering brushing up on my driving skills! Wouldn’t want to be shot for makin a California stop or somthing. And Palin: hahahahaha that’s the hardest laff i’ve had in days!! Kudos!!

8. lizzifer says:

I am just seriously baffled about the entire “pursuit” aspect, and “use of force equal to alleged crime” to tell the truth. It’s like the police don’t have to have any concern for those of us out there just doin our business. I don’t want to be t-boned cuz they r chasin someone with no license, nor do I want to be hit by a stray bullet cuz they r chasin someone who only has a warrant for a traffic offense!! Aren’t there other ways to handle their business. Sounds to me like They are putting themselves in the positions that are getting them shot at!!!

9. Palin2012yup says:

No problem lizzifer, I think we both believe in the same thing, justice and accountability.

10. Palin2012yup says:

To play devil’s advocate. I do understand the stress of being a cop, I have some relatives that are and friends. But and I do say but, when the day comes that we can’t question their actions and motives, that is the day we truly are a big brother gestapo state.