Federal law enforcement authorities believe they have identified the man who robbed a downtown Tacoma bank branch and claimed he had a bomb last week.
The man, who’s refused to tell authorities his name, was arrested as he left the Bank of America on Thursday afternoon. Prosecutors charged him Friday with first-degree robbery, first-degree assault and threatening to bomb or injure property. In court documents, the 40-year-old man is identified as “John J. Doe.” He’s being held in jail in lieu of $10 million bail.
FBI spokeswoman Robbie Burroughs said today, “We believe we have him identified. The investigation is ongoing.”
She said federal charges are likely to be filed in the near future. The man would then be transferred to federal custody.
Local authorities say the man doesn’t appear to have an arrest record. They’ve run his fingerprints and found no matches.
Earlier today, investigators released the man’s booking mug shot in hopes someone will help positively identify the man. Anyone with information is asked to call Tacoma-Pierce County Crime Stoppers at 253-591-5959.
The man is suspected in at least three other bank robberies, each carried out in similar fashion, along the West Coast. The FBI posted a bulletin on its web site about the unidentified robber after he struck a Sacramento, Calif., bank Aug. 24.
The other two robberies took place Feb. 4 at a Washington Mutual branch in Seattle and April 21 in San Francisco.
During the robberies, he’s identified himself as “Patrick Henry.”
In the Sacramento robbery – similar to the Tacoma robbery – he entered the bank while carrying a bag. He showed an employee what appeared to be a bomb inside the bag, according to the FBI bulletin.
“The man told the manager that he was part of a group which was rebelling against the insurgents and the current economic conditions,” the bulletin states.
The manager went into the vault and filled a bag with cash, then handed it over to the robber, who fled.