Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

USGS reports small earthquake west of Shelton

Post by Brian Everstine on Sep. 30, 2009 at 8:51 pm with 10 Comments »
September 30, 2009 10:08 pm

The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting a 3.4-magnitude earthquake that occurred at about 8:10 p.m.

The quake’s epicenter is reportedly about 6 miles west of Shelton, about 36 miles away from Tacoma. The USGS has reported 14 earthquakes in Washington within the past seven days, with tonight’s being the largest.0

People reported feeling the minor quake from as far away as Tacoma, north of Bremerton and west of Aberdeen.

1. m9078jk3 says:

I didn’t feel it or notice it at all (I was awake in my house) and I live in Tacoma.

2. I was in “The Security Building, dating from 1926, was Olympia’s first modern office block. It is a small-scale example of the popular Chicago or “skyscraper” commercial style of the early 20th century. This style used more windows than ever before, with ornamentation reduced to decorative bands at roofline and at the top of the ground floor level. Olympia’s only skyscraper – standing just five stories tall (we were on the fourth floor)- was designed by Seattle architect A.H. Albertson. Because it was built on mudflat fill, it was given an “earthquake-proof” base of 300 foundation pilings driven 60 feet into the ground.””

3. SJ_Gaston says:

I live in Tacoma, but I didn’t feel anything

4. I’m in Tacoma and I felt it!

I was watching the Mariners game on TV when suddenly my bed began shaking back and forth. I immediately realized it must be an earthquake and it scared me for a moment but the shaking stopped after a few seconds and nothing came after that.

I began doubting myself and wondered whether it might’ve just been a big gust of wind that hit the side of the house, but obviously I was right the first time and I’m glad I didn’t just imagine it.

5. bobbysangelwife says:

Didn’t feel a thing, I live on post at Ft Lewis

6. DeborahinGigHarbor says:

Felt it..barely. Mostly listened to the dishes shake.

7. I live in Puyallup and I felt it. I was laying in bed on internet, felt a “movement”, first thing I thought of was earthquake. I looked over to see if hanging plants were moving, weren’t so I thought it must be my imagination.
    If it wasn’t the quake it was a reasonable facimilie.

8. northwestrealtor says:

‘Cause the walls were shaking
    The earth was quaking
    My mind was aching
    And we were making it and you –

Shook me all night long

9. Pray4Peace says:

Boy, they got that Luzon building down just in time!

10. Governer Please dont raise our taxes!!!!! You said you would not. Im holding you to that, cause I know you wouldnt lie!