Firefighters doused a house fire this morning that appears to have been sparked by an oil furnace in the crawl space under the building.
Central Pierce Fire & Rescue crews were called to the home in the 10800 block of Valley Avenue about 8:30 a.m. They found heavy smoke coming from the back of the house, the fire department reported.
They attacked the flames. The fire started under the floor in the crawl space, then spread into the main living area, the department reported.
No one was home at the time of the blaze. No injuries were reported.
Investigators estimated the damage at $60,000. The renter had no insurance. The home, however, is insured, Central Pierce Fire & Rescue reported.