Kent firefighters will again be collecting toys for needy children.
Members of Kent Fire/Fire District 37, Kent Firefighters Local 1747 and the Kent Firefighters Foundation will be putting out several local collection bins today.
New, unwrapped toys and non-perishable food will be collected for the Toys for Joy program. Crews will deliver the toys to the Kent Food Bank, which will distribute the items to needy families in the community.
“Unfortunately, 2008 has seen an economic downturn that has devastated not only Western Washington, but the entire country,” a press release from the Kent Fire Department states. “This means that there are more people than ever that need assistance. The Toys for Joy program was designed to allow adults to provide gifts to their children that they might not otherwise be able to afford.”
Collection barrels will be at the following locations:
* Fire Station 71, 504 West Crow St., Downtown Kent.
* Fire Station 72, 25620 140 Ave. S.E., East Hill of Kent.
* Fire Station 73, 25612 Military Rd. S., West Hill of Kent.
* Fire Station 74, 24611 116 Ave. S.E., East Hill of Kent.
* Fire Station 75, 15635 S.E. 272 St., Lake Meridian.
* Fire Station 76, 20676 72 Ave. S., North Kent Valley.
* Fire Station 77, 20717 132 Ave. S.E., East Hill of Kent.
* Kent City Hall, 220 4 Ave. S., downtown Kent.
* Centennial Building, 400 W. Gowe St., downtown Kent.
For more information, call the Toys for Joy Hotline at 253-856-4485.