The neighbors of a Gig Harbor family whose home was destroyed by fire Wednesday morning have set up web site to raise money to help the family and the Gig Harbor fire department.
People who want to help can go to web site and donate via a PayPal account, said Angela Schellenberg, who lives next door to the Banales family. The family has insurance, but they lost everything in the blaze and will likely have immediate needs for clothing and other essentials, Schellenberg said.
Any money the Banales family doesn’t use will be donated to the fire department, Schellenberg said.
Schellenberg praised the firefighters for their efforts not only to douse the flames, but also to save the family cat and some of their possessions, including photos.
The fire was reported at 9:02 a.m. in the 7800 block of Beardsley Avenue.
Fire marshals determined than an overturned fish smoker sparked the blaze.
“The smoker was found on its side and could have been tipped over by an animal which had entered the garage through an open door,” a news release said.
(Submitted to Lights & Sirens by TNT reporter Jason Hagey)