Lights & Sirens

Go behind the yellow tape with The News Tribune

NOTICE: Lights & Sirens has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Lights & Sirens.
Visit the new section.

Violent crime up, property crime down in T-town

Post by Stacey Mulick / The News Tribune on Jan. 8, 2008 at 8:45 am |
January 8, 2008 8:45 am

The FBI released its first look at crime that occurred in 2007.

This preliminary report covered only the first six months of 2007 but revealed that:

Each of the violent crime offense categories (murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) decreased nationwide during January through June 2007 when compared to the corresponding months in 2006. Murder decreased 1.1 percent, forcible rape declined 6.1 percent, robbery decreased 1.2 percent, and aggravated assault decreased 1.7 percent.

Violent crime increased 1.1 percent in non-metropolitan counties and 1.1 percent in cities with populations of 10,000 to 24,999. In addition, small increases were experienced in cities under 10,000 in population (0.3 percent) and in cities with populations of 100,000 to 249,999 (0.1 percent).

Overall, violent crime decreased in all four of the nation’s regions during the reporting period.

Each of the property crime offense categories (burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft) decreased in the first six months of 2007 when compared to data for the same six month period in 2006. Burglary decreased 1.3 percent, larceny-theft declined 2.1 percent, and motor vehicle theft decreased 7.4 percent.

The report also detailed crime information from cities with a population over 100,000 people, which includes Tacoma.

In our city, violent crime was up in the first six months of 2007, while property crime was down.

In Seattle, both property and violent crime were down.

The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for Report violators to