Lights & Sirens has learned Tacoma police arrested another man in the shooting death of an AWOL Fort Lewis soldier outside the Hilltop’s Bryant school l last summer.
The man, who we’re not naming because he’s not yet been charged, was booked into the Pierce County Jail Thursday on suspicion of first-degree murder.
He’s scheduled to be arraigned in court this afternoon.
Deputy prosecutor Tim Jones said Friday the man served as a lookout during the Sept. 7 shooting of 24-year-old Julius James Williams on a sidewalk outside the school.
The suspected shooter, Irvin Dale Carter Jr., has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the case.
For more background, here’s the last story we ran on the case:
Not guilty plea in shooting of soldier
In Pierce County Superior Court, not guilty pleas are entered for a 23-year-old charged in the shooting death of an AWOL Fort Lewis soldier on Tacoma’s Hilltop.
By Karen Hucks
Thursday,October 12, 2006
Edition: SOUTH SOUND, Section: South Sound&Local, Page B02
The man suspected of killing an AWOL Fort Lewis soldier near a Tacoma Hilltop school last month was arraigned in Pierce County Superior Court on Wednesday.
Not guilty pleas were entered for Irvin Dale Carter Jr. on charges of first-degree murder and second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.
Pierce County prosecutors on Monday charged Carter, 23, in the Sept. 7 killing of Julius James Williams, 24. Williams was absent without leave from the Army for several weeks before he was killed.
Williams’ wife cried as she watched Carter in court.
“It’s beyond me,” Jessica Williams said. “I just don’t understand how someone could take another person’s life. Julius thought he was his friend.”
The case: State of Washington v. Irvin Dale Carter Jr., 06-1-04771-2.
The charges: First-degree murder, second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.
The allegation: Pierce County prosecutors say Carter, a convicted felon whose street name is “Big Bang,” killed Williams during an altercation Sept. 7 on the sidewalk in front of Bryant Elementary School, 717 S. Grant Ave.
Williams, 24, was shot five times, court documents state. During an autopsy, investigators recovered two .38-caliber bullets.
Investigators determined that those bullets were fired from the same gun with which a woman accidentally shot Carter in the stomach in his South Ainsworth Avenue home in May.
In addition, detectives learned Carter wanted Williams to return a handgun he’d lent him, but Williams had given it to someone else, who no longer had it.
Carter gave Williams a couple of days to find it, court documents state.
About 9:30 p.m. Sept. 7, Carter picked up Williams, and about midnight a witness reported seeing three men near Bryant Montessori School. Carter was arguing with Williams about money, the documents state.
A witness identified Carter as the person who shot Williams, the documents say.
The potential sentence: Between 28 years, five months, and 36 years, two months.
The defense: Unknown. No attorney has been assigned to the case yet.
The bail: Superior Court Judge Katherine Stolz set Carter’s bail at $1 million. Deputy prosecutor Ed Murphy asked for that amount, and Lisa Contris, Carter’s attorney for Wednesday’s hearing only, reserved any argument until a permanent attorney takes the case.