Sorry officer, the dog ate my imagination.
Insurance.com on Monday released the results of a poll of licensed drivers who were asked what their excuses have been when pulled over for traffic violations.
1. I couldn’t see the sign telling me not to do it.
2. I’m lost and unfamiliar with the roads.
3. I didn’t know it was broken.
4. Everyone else was doing it.
5. I’m having an emergency situation in my car. (For instance, a hot drink just spilled in my lap.)
6. I missed my turn/exit.
7. I had to go to the bathroom.
8. I didn’t do anything dangerous.
9. I was on my way to an emergency. (For instance, a friend is sick.)
10. My GPS said it was the right thing to do.
11. I’m just helping out; I wasn’t supposed to be driving. (For instance, my friend Bill got real drunk and I’m the designated driver.)
Men were more likely than women to blame the GPS and blame Bill for drinking too much.
Women were more likely to plead unfamiliarity with the roads and a need to visit a bathroom.
If you’ve got an excuse that has actually worked – whether as a driver or a police officer who let a driver go – please comment below.