The 11th annual celebration of the arts economy in Tacoma begins next month.
Art at Work kicks off Nov. 1 with an opening party and will last the entire month with more than 300 community events, including exhibits, workshops, performances, screenings and reading. Everything is open to the public, and many activities are free, according to a news release from the City of Tacoma.
“Art at Work Month enhances awareness of Tacoma’s broad commitment to the arts and culture as an economic driver and community builder,” Tacoma Arts Commission Chairwoman Robin Echtle said in a news release. “Art at Work celebrates and supports the diverse offerings accessible to all within the City.”
Go to www.ArtAtWorkTacoma.com for details on all events, including maps.
Signature events include:
Art at Work Opening Party & AMOCAT Awards
- Nov. 1, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Tacoma Art Museum, 1701 Pacific Ave.
- Public invited; free
- Attendees will enjoy appetizers, dessert, a no-host bar, music by Tacoma Youth Symphony, and exhibits in the museum galleries. The event will include recognition of the Tacoma Arts Commission’s 2012 funding recipients and the AMOCAT Art Award winners – KeyBank, The Grand Cinema and Katy Evans.
Tacoma Studio Tour
- Nov. 3 and Nov. 4 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 37 locations around Tacoma.
- Free, self-guided tour of 55 local artists’ studios. Ask questions and purchase one-of-a-kind creations. All studios will feature demonstrations of the artistic process or will have hands-on activities for visitors.