The New Tacoma Awards were announced Friday at a luncheon held by the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber.
Five businesses, organizations or people were recognized for their contributions to downtown Tacoma. The awards this year were sponsored by Absher Construction Company.
The 2012 recipients are:
- The Swiss received the Schoenfeld Award that recognizes exemplary performance and pizzazz as a retailer.
- LeMay – America’s Car Museum received the Ghilarducci Award that recognizes successful new development, renovation or beautification.
- First Night Tacoma-Pierce County received the Union Station Award that recognizes leading organizations, companies or individuals that have built or sustained momentum for revitalization.
- Tim Waer, Tacoma South Sound Sports, received the Popham Award that recognizes the individual who has done the most to build community spirit.
- Wright Park Sprayground & Playground received the second Public Places Award that recognizes the best activation of a public park, open space or area within the public right-of-way
For the second year, the awards are glass sculptures made by Hilltop Artists.