Peninsula residents can forget about making the trek across the bridges. In case you haven’t noticed, Gig Harbor is becoming the business center of Key Peninsula and even south Kitsap County.
Witness these recent developments:
* Construction and opening of such big box retailers as Target, Office Depot, Petco, Home Depot and Costco.
* Last summer’s debut of the luxuriously equipped Gig Harbor YMCA.
* The ongoing construction of the 80-bed St. Anthony Hospital and an adjacent 85,000-square-foot medical office building. The hospital’s construction is just the latest battle in the war between Tacoma’s two big hospitals for business on the Peninsula. Multicare recently fired a salvo in that war with the opening of its lodge-like medical center complex on Point Fosdick Drive.
* The roll-out of Pierce County’s first upscale “life-style” center, Uptown Gig Harbor, with such high-end retailers as Chico’s, Ann Taylor and Coldwater Creek in town-like setting.
* The planned mid-February premiere of the new Gig Harbor Galaxy theater equipped with digital projectors, surround sound and multiple screens.
Why the sudden explosion of new commercial construction?
Gig Harbor developers and planners discuss why on Sunday’s News Tribune Business page.