If one were looking for confirmation that summertime and bloodshed go hand in hand, the proof was scattered throughout the local news this week.
Here are a few in no particular order:
- An 18-year-old is injured following a drive-by shooting in Tacoma;
- A Puyallup man is arrested for first degree murder when sheriff’s deputies search his blood-soaked apartment for links to a missing man;
- A 16-year-old is in custody after a fatal stabbing in Renton;
- Two people are wounded in a Seattle shooting;
- A stabbing melee in Olympia leaves two men hospitalized;
In other words, it was a typically violent week around Puget Sound. But if one were willing to look hard enough, there was also a glimmer of hope among the wreckage.
Turns out our new governor came to town* on Thursday, along with the families and friends who lost loved ones in fatal DUI collisions. With a flourish of Governor Inslee’s pen, Washington toughened up its impaired driving laws (TNT 7/19).