The Adventure Guys

The inside story on outside recreation for South Puget Sound and beyond

NOTICE: The Adventure Guys has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved The Adventure Guys.
Visit the new section.

Washington named top bike friendly state … again

Post by Craig Hill / The News Tribune on May 22, 2012 at 10:46 am with 6 Comments »
May 22, 2012 10:46 am

Washington is once again the most bicycle friendly state in the country according to the League of American Bicyclists. It’s the fifth year in a row Washington has received the distinction.

“We’re encouraged to see significant progress in top states like Washington …,” league president Andy Clarke said in a prepared statement.  “But, as the scores clearly highlight, there’s much work to be done in critical areas like infrastructure and funding.  Overall, we see states – and especially state Departments of Transportation and state legislatures – lagging behind cities and the expectations of local cyclists, despite the many well-documented benefits of a more active lifestyle.”

Last week, the organization awarded Olympia with a silver award and Tacoma with a bronze for their efforts to be bicycle friendly. Seattle was the only city in the state to win gold and Portland was the only city in the Northwest to claim platinum, the highest honor.

Washington scored 4’s and 5’s (5 is the highest score) on the league’s report card, receiving top scores for education, encouragement, evaluation and planning.

The report also makes recommendations for improvement, stating Washington should develop a comprehensive strategy for working with law enforcement on bicycling issues, including training for officers and targeted enforcement of bike safety laws. Other recommendations include increasing bicycle ridership and funding and implementing the state bicycle plan adopted in 2006.

“This honor comes with much responsibility for the state, bicycle advocates and others to continue to strive for complete streets ordinances in every community and safe routes to every school,” said Barbara Culp, executive director for the Bicycle Alliance of Washington, in a prepared statement.  “This is a call to anyone who rides a bike to hold your city, county and state officials accountable to an even more bike-friendly state.”

Minnesota ranked second, Massachusetts was third and Colorado and Oregon rounded out the top five. Arkansas ranked last.

Washington’s Report Card: Washington

The Complete Rankings: State ranking chart

1. BlaineCGarver says:

The next time a cyclist kicks my car as I go by (because he’s left me no room) I will stop him and press charges. Get the hell out of the way.

2. Craig Hill says:

Three feet. That’s all we ask. State law clearly puts the onus on the driver to give a “safe distance to clearly avoid coming into contact with the pedestrian or bicyclist.” (RCW 46.61.110)

3. mvonwahlde says:

Everybody wins with bike paths and bike lanes!

4. everybodiesmom says:

To those of you who bike, I applaud you. It is good for you and good for the environment. To those of you who stay in your bike lane, thank you, I always try to move to the left to give you a little more room. To those idiots who do not please get off the road. There is nothing more annoying then some biker who is going down the middle of the road holding up traffic. You are not that fast, my car is going to beat you every time so just move your cycle over and let us go around you. And to those on the waterfront, get on the sidewalk, they have made it friendly for you and your bikes for a reason. On a busy day with heavy traffic in both directions there is no room to get around you so do everyone a favor and get off the street!

5. pegstermm says:

Except for the Tri-Cities, especially Kennewick. they hate cyclists and actually brag about it. ive been both verbally and physically harassed when i lived in the Tri Cities. i obey all the rules of the road and pay my taxes. Im not the only one who has had this happen. even the transit bus drivers harass cyclists. i moved away from that awful hateful place back in 06 and wont ever go back.

6. m9078jk3 says:

Sometimes a cyclist has to use the left turn lane this is lawful of course.I don’t mean to hold up traffic and will use a bike lane or sidewalk as soon as possible.What I have found is that motor vehicle drivers on almost a consistent basis don’t respect pedestrians or cyclists using a crosswalk when the signal lets them have the right of way.This happens to me almost daily on the entrance to Fircrest on the intersection of Orchard and Center streets.Also today at this intersection when the crosswalk signal changed for me giving me the right of way a reckless car driver sped through this intersection going through a red light heading north on Orchard around the corner on a turn up east on center street at well over 30 mph.Glad I didn’t cross right away.Legally I would be in the right however had I done so I would have been killed.One can be dead right so take care with dangerous illegal drivers and obey the traffic laws yourself as a cyclist.
    And by the way yes you can ride a bike easily in the rain (I got a Veltop attachment ordered from France).So riding is not just a 4 or 5 month thing.
    Riding in the rain can be as pleasant and convenient as one makes it.
    Here is my video.