The Adventure Guys

The inside story on outside recreation for South Puget Sound and beyond

NOTICE: The Adventure Guys has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved The Adventure Guys.
Visit the new section.

Crystal Mountain announces plans to open Friday; White Pass and The Summit at Snoqualmie in wait-and-see mode

Post by Jeff Mayor / The News Tribune on Nov. 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
November 15, 2011 2:21 pm

UPDATED: 2:20 P.M.

Crystal Mountain officials are counting on a mid-week storm to bring enough snow to allow a limited opening Friday. The ski area announced its plans this afternoon based on the winter storm forecast for Wednesday and Thursday.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Wednesday and Thursday in the Cascades. The forecast for the Snoqualmie Pass area calls for almost 2 feet of snow those days, with more snow through the weekend.

Currently there is just over a foot of snow in Green Valley.

“It’s a bold move to announce the opening date before we have enough snow, but we are pretty confident that the weather will produce enough snow over the next couple days to put us in really good shape for a limited opening on Friday,” said marketing director Tiana Enger.

The Mount Rainier Gondola and Green Valley chairlift will operate from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and lift tickets will be $35 on Friday. Scenic gondola rides are available for $20.

Additional terrain will open as the snowpack builds, Enger said. She said they hope to open Discovery, Chinook Express and Forest Queen Express chairlifts Saturday.

Enger said more details will be released Thursday.

At White Pass and The Summit and Snoqualmie, they are in a wait and see mode.

“(Wednesday) is a pivotal day for all of us in the industry,” said Guy Lawrence, the area’s market director.

“We’ve got a nice shot of snow on the ground right now, but we’re just not at the point we’re we can open just yet,” he said.

Whether the Summit can open will depends on the quantity of snow that comes in over the next couple of days, Lawrence added.

“We’re going to wait and see what accumulates over the next couple of days before we make the call,” said White Pass spokeswoman Kathleen Goyette.

“Should people be on stand by and have their skis waxed and ready to go, absolutely, but there’s no guarantees at this time.”

To the north, Mount Baker was going to wait until this afternoon before making a decision to open Friday. Stevens Pass officials said Monday they need another 20 inches of snow before they open.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.