The Adventure Guys

The inside story on outside recreation for South Puget Sound and beyond

NOTICE: The Adventure Guys has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved The Adventure Guys.
Visit the new section.

Gov. Gregoire signs Discover Pass legislation

Post by Jeff Mayor / The News Tribune on May 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
May 12, 2011 2:09 pm

UPDATE: Thursday at 2:07 p.m.

As expected, the governor signed the bill creating the new Discover Pass.

The pass will be required as of July 1 for vehicle access to recreation lands and water-access sites managed by the State Parks and Recreation Commission, state Department of Fish and Wildlife and State Department of Natural Resources. The pass – available for sale in mid-June – will cost $30 a year per vehicle or $10 for a day-use pass.

___

Washington’s Discover Pass will become reality Thursday afternoon.

Gov. Chris Gregoire is scheduled to the recreation access bill – SSSB 5622 – at 1:30 p.m. in the Governor’s conference room at the Capitol.

The bill creates the pass, costing $10 per vehicle a day or $30 for an annual pass. The pass is expected to raise more than $65 million every two years. The majority of the funds, 84 percent, will go to the State Parks and Recreation Commission. The remaining 16 percent will be evenly split between the state Department of Fish and Wildlife and Department of Natural Resources.

By Friday, a Discover Pass website will be up and running to provide information on the pass. The site will include information about how and where to purchase the pass, as well as frequently asked questions, a toll-free number and an email address.

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.