The Adventure Guys

The inside story on outside recreation for South Puget Sound and beyond

NOTICE: The Adventure Guys has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved The Adventure Guys.
Visit the new section.

"I almost pulled a Craig Hill part 2"

Post by News Tribune Staff on Aug. 4, 2008 at 7:34 pm with No Comments »
August 4, 2008 7:34 pm

I tried to post this on Saturday, but the hotel which claimed to have an internet connection didn’t have one.

Sunday Night

This weekend’s ride reminds me of times when I was a kid where you have no worries and only good times. Remember as a child the extra fun days flew, but the days when you had to pull weeds dragged on. This weekend has been that kind of weekend; it is flying by. The only small hiccup came from during the first fifteen miles of the ride. The three readers of this blog, who are all related to me, will know my love of dehydration, IVs, and ER. I felt the need to get ahead of my hydration so I drank two large bottles of water the first ten miles. Hoping I would soon have a sign that I was fully loaded and hydrated – I wanted – NO – I needed to pee. I had the same experience Craig Hill had two years ago on STP when he needed to go. Finally, with a full bladder, I pulled over behind a tree to relieve myself. Sweet relief. The hiccup wasn’t the fact I couldn’t void, but when Todd Kelly my neighbor and Multi-Care Hospital Communications Director decided to roll up in his SAG wagon within ten feet of my tree. Todd has his soon to be a seventh grade daughter Sarah with him. He quickly threw the car in reverse, and all turned out well.

The weekend is truly a worry free weekend for the riders, but it happens by the hard work of the volunteers. I asked Todd if the weekend qualified as work – he said no he volunteered this weekend in fact he mentioned his first day of his vacation is Monday the last day of the ride. His daughter Sarah was right by his side working hard with her dad. The hours the volunteers put in are enormous – Todd started both Saturday and Sunday before 7 AM and Saturday his day finished at 9:30 PM. When Russ and I left the program last night at 7 PM, Todd with Sarah at his side was still hard at work. I talked to a couple Rotary members who came up the night before the event to set up their food stop, and woke quite early to prepare food for the many riders.

Again for my three family and friends reading the blog, the cribbage total is 10 to 10. I jumped out to a huge lead of 9 to 2 to only have Russ get on a big run and tie it up.

Monday’s ride is the toughest for me. The ride is around sixty miles with about the biggest climbing day. Today we climb Stevens Pass. The total climbing miles today is around fifteen miles of the sixty. Russ waits for me at the top of the pass, and my best time in the past has Russ only waiting for twenty-three minutes; we will see.

Adventure Guys
Leave a comment Comments
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

JavaScript is required to post comments.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0