As promised in today’s Adventure
Section, here are 10 more ways to camp a little greener.
Click here to read the first 10.
11. When nature calls be kind to the environment. Dig a hole to bury your business. (Note: This doesn’t work on snow. The snow melts leaving hiker in deep poop the next summer.) Either wipe with something natural like moss, leaves or snow or pack out your toilet paper.
12. Buy a down sleeping bag and leather hiking boots instead of a bag and boots made of synthetics.
13.Print your maps at home and use one large sealable bag to keep them dry rather than laminating each map.
14.Buy a hybrid car or at least carpool and don’t over pack your ride with gear. Your car isn’t as fuel efficient when it’s overpacked with gear. Also consider public transportation if you are doing day hike near town.
15. Boil your drinking water instead of chemically treating it.
16. Borrow or rent gear rather then buying new.
17. Ride your bike to the grocery store when shopping for your trip.
18. Stay in a tent rather than a cabin or hotel.
19. Don’t wash your car after your trip.
20. Be creative. I have a buddy that used his vasectomy sperm sample jar (he says he never used it that way) as a reusable mini peanut butter container. You likely have many things around your house that have multiple uses.